Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tuxedo Appointment - Attempt #1

This morning was our appointment at Men's Warehouse. The only thing I knew about tuxedos is that they're usually black and they usually make the guys look fantastic ;). Patrick said that he's worn a tux for a few other occasions, but he's never had to get them set up for a number of guys. We didn't know what to expect!

We grabbed a quick breakfast and then got to Men's Warehouse excited to get the tuxes checked off our list... only to be greeted by a salesguy who had no idea we were coming (note: I had received both a call and an email to verify the time of the appointment). He tried to roll with the punches, said he was glad we came and brought us over to a desk.

We sat down, and without even telling us his name, he asked our wedding color. He quickly grabbed a fabric sample (of paisley/flowered vest and striped tie) and said, "Well, here you go!" They color didn't look exactly the same as I remembered the dresses, but he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if there were other options. That's the only option we have if we want to use our color: no solid, no checks... just flowered + stripes.

Having the color out of the way (in his mind), he got out a book that contained pictures/descriptions of tuxes and handed it to us... and walked away. Patrick and I just looked at each other confused. We tried to be good sports by looking at the pages, but we had no clue what we were supposed to be looking at. We tried to figure it out by reading descriptions, but we sat the book down after a minute or so and then sat waiting for him for probably 4 minutes. He eventually came over and said he had put together a few looks for us, then showed us 3 tuxedo jackets he had laid out.

He did a very quick run-through of prices, told us the # of buttons each of them had & told me that we WOULD be using white for the shirts b/c my dress was white (even if that's the look we'd been thinking, he said it like we didn't have a choice). Patrick had to ask if he could try one of them on. Apparently there weren't any other sizes, and the first sample was a little short on the sleeves and a little tight, but it wasn't too bad - Patrick looked sharp in it, but I thought the lapel (I think that's what it's called b/c I google'd it, not that the salesguy explained it) was strange. Absolutely no offense to Patrick, but the second one looked like the scene from Tommy Boy when Chris Farley sings "Faaaat guy in a little coat."

We started cracking up and couldn't even focus on what the tux looked like b/c it was sooo small on him. The salesguy - yes, we still didn't know his name - stuttered through the words, "So, um, do you want to get something set up?"

It was my turn to give him a look like he was crazy. Being in sales, both Patrick and I both understand the idea of a BASIC sales strategy, and he apparently had no clue. We told him that no, we weren't ready to get anything set up.

He nodded, said, "Ok, well when you're ready, here's my card." The last thing he said to us - while we were walking out the door - was "Hey... Sorry about the vests." We sat down in the car and agreed we were more confused than when we walked in.

I'm not sure that I'm willing to give Men's Warehouse another chance after this totally wasted 10-minute experience, but if we do, I PROMISE we won't be using that card.

-Lisa

P.S. On a more positive note, we went over to David's Bridal after Men's Warehouse, and I showed Patrick the two bridesmaid dresses we're thinking about. He said that he really liked both of them! Kate texted me a couple pictures of her in the two dress choices this morning, and she looked great in both (Mandy and Kate have tried them on so far). While we were at David's Bridal, I tried to get Patrick's opinion on veils/sashes, and I have to give him credit - he's a smart guy! He knows I haven't chosen my veil yet, so he gave his opinion... but when I asked him about a flowered sash that could go on a dress, he realized I could have something along those lines on my dress, and with a smirk on his face, he refused to give an answer. Two points for him ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment