Saturday, October 1, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

We met with one of Aldea's preferred bakers on Wednesday night. I don't know if my expectation of our meeting was unrealistic, but I have to admit that I felt a little let down at the end of our meeting. 

Don't get me wrong; she was very nice and seemed to be VERY willing to work with our ideas to the best of her ability. Her cakes looked nice, and she was great with the idea of doing cupcakes and a small cake. I guess I just expected that she'd bring samples of a lot of different combinations of flavors/fillings/icings... and she only had samples of 3: pumpkin and red velvet (that I had told her we had tried at an open house and already decided on) - and a chocolate with peanut butter mousse (it tasted like Reeses peanut butter cups, but the chocolate cake was dry). 

I also felt like she wasn't really listening when we told her multiple times that we wanted to stay away from chocolate flavors since Patrick doesn't like chocolate. We asked for her suggestion on numerous occasions, and she kept responding with suggestions that included chocolate in some way. 

She showed pictures of her cupcake stand, and I actually loved it. We provide the decorations for the stand (paper/fabric/ribbon/etc) and let her know our vision & she'll put it together. She was also more than willing to put on cupcake picks (potentially with our monogram) and/or cupcake wrappers. 
Patrick and I were talking about making our own cupcake stand, but this would give time for us to work on other projects. The pink/black design shows the size it would probably be for our reception, and the peach version shows what it looks like while in use. 

My parents (and Patrick) were giving me a hard time earlier today b/c I just expect people to do their job. If someone is a design consultant for carpet, I want them to act as a consultant to help figure out what it is that would work best overall. For the baker, I want to be able to try flavors outside of what I ask for and to have him/her listen if we don't want a flavor.

Eh. I don't know. Maybe I'm being too hard on her b/c I'm tired; there actually were a lot of things that we liked about her and her work. Who knows; after a good night's sleep, it may be a completely different outlook.

We'll see!
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment