Saturday, June 25, 2011

Meet Kate & Maggie - The Final Two Bridesmaids

I'm proud to say that I have officially asked all six of my girls to be in the wedding party, and all six of them said yes!

The last (but not least) two are Patrick's sisters, Kate and Maggie. From the first time I talked to them on the phone, they have been amazing. I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming pair of siblings, and I'm so excited to have them as my sisters-in-law.


Kate - Bridesmaid. Kate (left in the picture) is Patrick's older sister. She lives in Cleveland (only a few minutes from his parents' house) with her husband Mike. Kate and Mike got married a few years ago, and she's already given some great advice that she learned from her wedding. I feel like we already have a lot in common and can't wait to get to know each other better.

Maggie - Bridesmaid. Maggie (in the center in the picture) just moved to Detroit after being offered a very exciting job with a major department store. She's had a long-distance relationship with her hockey-playing boyfriend Colin, and the move got her a LOT closer to him (looking forward to meeting him!). Maggie is a fashion expert, so I'll definitely be looking for her feedback/suggestions on dresses, etc!

It's always nervewracking meeting your significant other's family, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I met his dad first (less than a month into our relationship) and met his mom about a month after that... Since both of those meetings happened early, I didn't have time to really over-think it - and they were fantastic. After meeting his parents went well (and we started to get more and more serious), I was really nervous to meet Patrick's sisters. Maggie & Kate mean so much to him, and I knew that their opinion would mean a lot. Siblings can be very protective of each other, and they don't always accept a new bf/gf. I soon realized I had nothing to worry about. We finally met over Thanksgiving (when both of our families came to Phoenix). They welcomed me with open arms, and I consider myself very lucky.

In an earlier entry, I said that I would save HOW I asked the girls for later, and now that all of them have been asked, I don't have to wait any longer! I love scrapbooking, so I decided to put a personal touch into asking each of them. I found ribbon and sparkly letters that match our wedding colors, and I made each of them a scrapbook. For Kelly, Lindsey, Mandy & Kristen, I found pictures of the two of each of us through the years - starting around the time we first met and going to today. For Kate & Maggie, I asked Nell (Patrick's mom) for help. She, his dad & Maggie (without knowing what she was doing) went through old photo albums and frames for pictures of Patrick with each sister (there aren't many of me with the two of them... yet!). Their scrapbooks showed pictures of their relationships with Patrick through the years. On the last page of each book, I wrote a message telling each girl why they mean so much to me & asked her to be in the wedding party. I'm really happy with how they turned out, and more than anything, going through the pictures was a reminder of the good times over the years. With friends like these six, I have no doubt those good times will continue!

-Lisa

PS, I'm getting tired, but I'm almost too excited to sleep - Wedding dress shopping is first thing tomorrow morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment